Note: Talk and demonstration by artist Hemangini Rathore will begin at 2 pm Sunday, December 11, 2022
Hemangini Rathore is founder of Sudarshan, a thriving artist collective that aims to preserve and promote traditional techniques and motifs found in folk textiles from India by creating contemporary designs and products. Through Sudarshan, Hemangini brings together ancient hand-block printing methods and patterns centered around the city of Jaipur, Rajasthan alongside hand-stitching, -weaving, and -dyeing traditions from neighboring states of Gujarat and Jammu-Kashmir. Sudarshan specializes in creating luxurious, contemporary garments and accessories that draw upon the ancient textile traditions of India to ensure that these traditions, and the indigenous artisan communities who make them, continue to survive and thrive. Sudarshan’s work has been featured in the retail spaces of MOMA New York, SF MOMA, the Freer-Sackler Galleries, and the Rubin Museum New York.
Talk and Demonstration
Join us for a community conversation with designer and textile specialist Hemangini Rathore as she discusses her engagement with Indian folk textiles and the contemporary artisan communities who are working to keep these traditions alive.
- Red Kalamkari Caftan by Thilak Reddy$260.00
- Kalamkari Boho Maxi Dress by Thilak Reddy$398.00
- Kalamkari Angarkha-style Striped Tunic Dress by Thilak Reddy$298.00
- Woven Silver Earrings$68.00
- Reversible Cotton Kantha Jacket$275.00
- Reversible Kantha Jacket$275.00
- Pink and Blue Zigzag Necklcae$155.00
- Hand-hammered brass Necklace$68.00
- Unique Brass toe ring$55.00